The DfE Developer Hub puts small files (known as 'cookies') onto your computer to collect information about how you browse the site. Find out more about the cookies we use, what they're for and when they expire.
Cookies that measure website use
We use Microsoft Azure Application Insights analytics to help us understand how the Developer Hub is being used and how it is performing. Any details that could personally identify you are removed from this information.
This helps us to:
- understand how the application is being used to continuously improve the user journey
- detect and diagnose performance issues
- improve the site and Government Digital Services
Application Insights stores information about:
- how you got to the site
- the pages you visit on the Developer Hub and how long you spend on them
- what you click on while you’re visiting the site
We use 2 Application Insight cookies to count how many people visit the site:
- ai_session - keeps track of how many users are accessing the application over time. Expires after 24 hours
- ai_user - collects statistical usage and telemetry information. Expires after 1 year
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They do not store any information that could identify you.
Essential cookies are usually only set if you request a service, for example setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms.
You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
We use one essential cookie, set by websites run on the Windows Azure cloud platform:
- ARRAffinity - used for load balancing to make sure your page requests are routed to the same server in any browsing session - expires when you close your browser
You might see a message at the top of the website on your first visit. We store a cookie on your computer so it knows you've seen it and not to show it again.
- seen_cookie_message - hides the cookie banner on your first visit to the website - expires in 1 month
The cookies message banner will ask you to accept cookies or review your settings when you visit the Developer Hub.
We have 2 cookies that tell your computer you’ve seen the banner and not to show it again:
- cookies_policy - saves your cookie consent settings - expires after one year
- cookies_preferences_set - tells us you’ve saved your cookie consent settings - expires after one year